Friday, January 4, 2013

I'm Back!

Hello All!

Happy New Year! I apologize for the long hiatus on blogging! I hope to update you on all of my adventures of recent in new posts in the next few days. To give you a quick update, I finished my first semester at the American University of Paris, and will be starting a new program with Boston University in Paris this upcoming Monday. I have gotten to visit a lot of great countries and cities (Italy, Budapest, Prague, Amsterdam, and Germany) which I will post about soon!

 Not being able to return home for the holidays, I was lucky enough to stay in Germany with my friend Lara who I met two and a half years ago volunteering in South Dakota at the Cheyenne River Youth Project. She later came and visited my home later that year, and now I went to visit her! We had an absolutely wonderful time traveling about Germany. We visited Munster, Paderborn, Cologne, and Hamburg in addition to her house in the small village of Brenken.

One of my favorite things we did while I visited was visit the Christmas markets which Germany is so famous for. The ones we visited were in the small city of Munster. There was a spectacular array of stands with all sorts of German holiday food specialties, bratwurst, gluhwein (hot spiced wine), and a lot of stands with different kinds of gifts. Here are some pictures to help you feel the holiday spirit one more time before the holiday season is totally over :)


Candles

Pretty birdhouses

These tools are made of chocolate!

Speck (similar to bacon) bread

Lara with a slim-jim type sausages we bought

Extra special version of gluhwein with rum in it.

A southern German dish of a flatbread topped with onion , white sauce, and speck 

Stollen

Reibekuchen= potato pancakes


Reibekuchen with apvelmus (applesauce)



Bratwurst


Gingerbread hearts

Lara and I


I hope everyone had a safe and wonderful holiday season! I sure did! I will add some new posts soon.


With love,

Christine



No comments:

Post a Comment